4–6 Weeks Before the Move

Places to Notify

Let the office know when you’ll be moving and what your new address will be; a temporary forwarding address might be necessary if you do not have a permanent one by the time you move.  As an alternative, the office will hold your mail and forward it upon written instructions from you.

If you want to rent a office box in the new city, you must do so in person.  All office box rentals are for a minimum of six months.

First class mail is forwarded free of charge for one year.

Magazines and newspapers are forwarded for 60 days.  Standard Mail (B), formerly called fourth-class/parcel , is forwarded locally for 12 months at no charge.  You pay forwarding charges if you move outside the local area.

Only one change-of-address card (Form 3575) is necessary per family if everyone in the household is moving and if all people have the same last name.  For other cases, one change-of-address card per person can be used.  Mover’s Guides, which contain Form 3575, are available at your local office, from your postal carrier, or via the Internet at www.usps.gov/moversnet

Use the postcards included in the Mover’s Guide to notify your correspondents of your new mailing address.  Publishing companies prefer at least four week’s notice – preferably six.  Early notification of your new, complete mailing address, including ZIP code, can avoid postage-due costs and eliminate the delayed receipt of your magazines and other publications.

Prepare a list of friends, relatives, business firms and others who should be notified of your move.

Who to Notify of Your Move


  • Electric
  • Gas
  • Water
  • Telephone
  • Fuel
  • Sewer District
  • Trash
  • Cable/Satellite Television
  • Wireless Telephone
  • Internet

Government & Public Offices

  • Veterans Administration
  • Library
  • City Hall- Refuse Service
  • City and/or County Tax Assessor
  • State Motor Vehicle Bureau
  • Social Security Administration
  • State/Federal Income Tax Bureaus
  • Draft Board

Insurance Agencies

  • Life
  • Fire
  • Auto
  • Home
  • Health
  • Accident
  • Hospital

Established Business Accounts

  • Dry Cleaner
  • Bakery
  • Drug Store
  • Diaper Service
  • Department Stores
  • Water Softener Service
  • Lawn Service
  • Dairy
  • Service Stations
  • Laundry
  • Banks
  • Finance Companies
  • Credit Card Companies
  • Automobile Agency
  • Real Estate Agency


  • Newspaper
  • Magazine
  • Newsletters
  • Professional
  • Fraternal

Professional Services

  • Doctor
  • Dentist
  • Certified Public Accountant
  • Lawyer
  • Broker


  • Relatives and Friends
  • Business Associates
  • Record and Compact Disc Clubs
  • Book and Video Clubs
  • Other Organizations and Clubs
  • Schools and Colleges
  • Landlord (if you are a tenant)
  • Tenants (if you are a landlord)
  • Church


Consider having a “garage sale” to dispose of unwanted items.  (For information on this subject, ask your representative for United’s “Planning A Garage Sale” booklet.)  If you donate clothing or household goods to charitable organizations, obtain receipts showing the items’ approximate value for possible tax deductions.

Begin to use up supplies of canned goods, frozen foods and other household items.  Buy only what will be used before moving.  Consider making shipping arrangements for frozen foods with the local frozen food locker plant.  Due to the possibility of spoilage, it is not advisable to move frozen foods on the van unless all of the following conditions are met:

  1. They are in a freezer operating at a normal deepfreeze temperature at the time of loading.  (Check your freezer operating manual for suggested normal freezing temperatures.)
  2. The distance to be moved is not less than 150 miles and/or delivery will be made within 24 hours.
  3. No storage of the shipment is necessary.
  4. No preliminary or en route servicing of any kind is required.

Create your own “Personal Household Inventory”.  Completing your own inventory can help you determine the amount of declared valuation for the shipment.  List, as nearly as possible, the year of purchase and original cost of each item.  Attach any invoices or records of purchase to the completed inventory.

If you are being relocated at your company’s request, find out what portion of your moving expenses the company will pay.  If your company has a written moving policy, ask for a copy of the document.