How much will my move cost?
Mergenthaler Transfer & Storage wants our pricing to be as transparent as possible so that our customers know what they can expect from us. In the moving industry basic transportation charges depend on the actual weight of your goods, and the distance it will travel. The total cost will include these transportation costs, any charges for Full-Value Coverage, and any “accessorial” services (such as packing and unpacking) requested of Mergenthaler transfer and storage.
In Home Moving Estimates
Obtaining a No Obligation-In Home Estimate is essential for a successful move. Many companies flaunt the ease of their online estimate programs, but Mergenthaler Transfer & Storage knows that an accurate estimate cannot be given without a visual survey of the goods to be moved.
During your In Home Moving Estimate, an experienced Relocation Consultant will conduct a pre-move survey of your household goods to be transported. This survey will help determine the amount of van space your goods will occupy. After the survey, you will be given a written Estimate and Order for Service.
Keep in mind that In Home Estimates are only guidelines. On interstate shipments, you must pay the total charges as determined by the actual weight of your shipment, the origin and destination points of the shipment, the distance it travels, and the services which you authorize or which become necessary to handle your shipment. Charges for local shipments are generally calculated on an hourly basis. There may be a minimum number of hours required.
Mergenthaler also offers binding estimates, which specifies the precise cost of the move based on services requested or deemed necessary at the time of the estimate. Discuss the option of binding estimates with your Relocation Consultant during your In Home Estimate.
Pitfalls of Online Estimates
While Mergenthaler wants your move process to be smooth and streamlined, we also want our pricing to be accurate and for our customers to feel safe working with us. Because of this, we do not offer online move estimates. Here are some of the reasons why:
- No Visibility of the Company: With an online estimate, you do not know who is sending you this estimate. It could be a scam artist, or a disreputable mover. Do they have just a few trucks, but represent themselves as a larger company? Do they have interstate operating authority, a major van line affiliation, or workman’s compensation insurance? Know with whom you are dealing, and work with professionals!
- Inaccurate Determination of Weight: Weight of your goods is the basis of all other calculations in the estimate. If you start off wrong, you may never recover. Weight approximations can’t be determined without a representative there to survey the goods you want moved.
- Unable to Determine Packing Requirements: Although there is an acceptable method of calculating the packing costs, it only applies to doing a complete pack, and again, it is weight-based. A custom packing plan can be devised during the In Home Estimate.
- Special Requirements: Some items need special care. Black lacquer dressers or pianos need to be wrapped in micro-foam to prevent scratching the finish. Plasma or LCD TVs require special handling, and in many cases, a third party is needed to properly package them. Options can be discussed during the In Home Estimate.
- Crating: Some pictures, mirrors, marble tops, and large glass tops need special wood crates to be constructed to safely transport them. The object needs to be measured and the cubic feet determined to accurately price
- Improper Valuation of Your Belongings: This might seem like a small point, but if damage occurs and you do not have the proper value and documentation, it will become a big point. Your Relocation Consultant will be glad to help you understand your valuation options.
At Mergenthaler Transfer & Storage, we know that moving is overwhelming enough without the surprises and hold ups caused by inaccurate pricing. Get your move started on the right foot with a thorough In Home Estimates, so that you know all details are covered—free of charge!
Rely on accurate professionals!